Ditton Minors Football Club

Ditton Minors FC - U8Y Match Report

Match Details

Date 27 Jan 2018 10:30
Fixture Ditton Minors FC U8Y v Barming Blues
Venue Ditton Old Rec
Competition Maidstone Invicta Primary League
Score X - X (Non-Competitive)
Man of the Match Max
Goalscorers X-X

Match Report


After a friendly versus Barming Blues a few weeks ago Ditton played the team again, this time in the league, and this time hoping to turn the previous result around - especially after the great run of results in the last 3 games.  


Ditton started with Arthur in goal, Ollie and Max in defence and Evan and Eddie as strikers.  Whilst we started confidently we were soon needing to demonstrate strong defensive skills as Barming went on the attack early in the game.  Alas, the pressure from Barming was too much and they grabbed an early goal.  Ditton went on the attack and some great battling from Max in defence saw us push on strongly - with Ollie having a great run on goal, but, on this occasion we were unable to convert the chance.  


Ollie and Max continued to provide a solid defensive wall and through some great tackling in midfield we were soon able to grab a goal.  The spirit and improvements in the teams play was best shown when Ollie fought and defended well and made a great pass out to Eddie on the right wing which was crossed into the box, but alas Evan was unable to grab another goal for Ditton.  Soon some lapses in concentration saw Barming on the attack and they grabbed another goal.  


In the second period of play Joe G joined Ollie in defence and Theo joined Evan up front.  Again, the passion from the boys was amazing and Theo and Joe G showed great strength throughout the pitch to try and push on.  One Ditton attack saw the ball fly across the Barming goal but alas no players were close enough to put the ball in the net.  Another attack saw Evan have a great effort on goal but his shot was scooped over the cross bar.  These missed efforts would be punished by Barming who applied pressure and grabbed some goals as Ditton failed to deal with the ball in defensive positions.  Another strong Barming attack saw us concede a free kick just outside the area.  Despite the wall and strong hands from Arthur the shot from Barming was just too strong.  A second free kick for Barming a few minutes later was also very well taken and they stretched their lead.  


Max came back on in defence, along with Alfie, and Eddie joined Theo up front for the third period of play.  Again Theo showed great spirit and strength - having a great attacking run on goal but some strong defence from Barming closed him down.  We continued to push on and attack but a couple of times during this period we were caught too high up the pitch and were unable to get players back in numbers to defend - and Barming grabbed another couple of goals. Arthur again stayed strong in goal and kept some great Barming attacks out.  Theo had another great forward run on goal but was unable to get the shot off before being closed down.  


The final period of play saw Max and Joe G in defence, with Alfie and Eddie up front.  Tired legs, as a result of muddy conditions, were starting to take their toll.  Joe G showed several moments of strong play but better movement off the ball and passing from Barming continued to put pressure on the Ditton goal and they grabbed some more goals.  As always, despite the  scoreline the Ditton players didn't give up and pushed and played very well.  


Despite the result there were several standout players in all areas - with Theo, Joe G and Max having probably their best games for a while.  For his spirited, strong display in defence Max was the man of the match.  

Publisher Carol Thompson
Published 01 Feb 2018 08:24